Warning to pet owners after Dog Gone Dog Treats brand linked to salmonella
Pet owners are being asked to dispose of Dog Gone Dog Treats after three cases of salmonella were reported in humans
Pet owners are being warned to dispose of Dog Gone Dog Treats after it was discovered the Massachusetts-made treats brand has been linked to cases of salmonella in the local area.
The warning from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health comes after three cases were reported in people who had handled the treats, including two adults in their 70s and a child in Essex County.
“One open bag from a customer and several unopened bags purchased last week all tested positive for salmonella at the State Public Health Laboratory,” the DPH said.
Signs of a salmonella infection include diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps that can last up to a week. The Department of Public Health reminded pet owners to wash their hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water after handling pet food or having contact with animal feces to avoid infection.
They also advised the public to store and prepare pet food away from food intended for humans and to clean and disinfect surfaces that pet treats may have touched.
- Dog food recall prompted after discovery of dangerously high Vitamin D levels
- Sunshine Mills dog food recalled over salmonella fears
All stores selling the product have been ordered to remove it from their shelves and no additional products are currently being made.
Dog Gone Dog Treats, made in Georgetown, are a dehydrated dog treat that is not fully cooked. The range includes chicken chips, beef liver and sweet potato chips that are sold at Essex County Co-Op in Topsfield, New England Dog Biscuit Company in Salem, Gimme Chews & Moore in Haverhill and Animal Krackers in Gloucester.
Although the cases have been reported in people, pets can also become ill from salmonella. Symptoms in dogs can include diarrhea that may contain blood or mucus, a fever or vomiting and tiredness.
If you're concerned that your dog may have become ill after eating the dog treats, it is advised to consult your veterinarian immediately.
Get the best advice, tips and top tech for your beloved Pets
Ashleigh is Digital Editor on PetsRadar. With over 8 years of experience in print and digital media, she has acted as an editorial lead on a variety of projects, with animal themes a keen interest. As an avid animal lover, you can often find Ashleigh checking out the newest trends in animal care or looking at cute cat videos on TikTok.
By Sara Walker