Cat owners are always on the lookout for ways to keep their feline companions healthy and happy. Whether it's through discovering the latest cat toys or different types of food, we are constantly searching for ways to improve the lives of our furry friends. One such way is through something called platform training.
According to Cat School Clicker Traininga feline training program run by cat behavioral experts, training on a platform can offer numerous benefits for both cats and their owners. That's why they have shared five tips that cover a range of areas, from exercise and activity to cooperative care and training skills.
Using a platform can help cats focus and learn new skills, as well as prevent undesirable behaviors such as door-dashing and counter-surfing. In addition to these practical benefits, training on a platform can also offer mental stimulation and enrichment for cats. Plus, providing opportunities for cats to engage in natural behaviors like jumping and climbing can help prevent boredom and improve their overall well-being.
So, if you're looking for ways to enhance your furry friend's daily routine, you can view the post from Cat School Clicker Training or read on to learn more about the benefits of platform training.
A photo posted by on
Five benefits of platform training with your cat:
- Exercise/activity: Exercise and activity Jumping on and off platforms is an excellent way for cats to stay active and engaged. It's a workout that can help keep cats in shape, both physically and mentally. This is especially important for indoor cats who may not have access to outdoor spaces.
- Cooperative care: Training a cat to be comfortable on a platform can also help with cooperative care, such as nail trims. Cats can learn to relax and stay calm while their nails are being trimmed, making the process less stressful for both the cat and the owner.
- Working with multiple pets: Platforms can be used to teach multiple cats, or cats and dogs, how to interact with each other. By training pets to use a platform, they learn to respect each other's space and become more comfortable being near each other.
- Training skills: Using a platform can also be helpful for teaching cats basic obedience skills like sitting, down, standing, and even spinning. This helps to improve a cat's focus and can help build a stronger bond between the cat and their owner.
- Longer settles: Platforms can also be used for longer settles, which can help prevent door-dashing and countersurfing. By teaching cats to settle on a platform, they learn to relax and stay in one place, reducing the likelihood of them running out the door or jumping on the counter.
For any cat owners interested in trying platform training, there are a variety of cat platforms and training aids available on the market. Additionally, incorporating any of the best interactive cat toys into your cat's daily routine can also help provide mental stimulation and exercise.
From improving your cat's physical health to preventing unwanted behavior, these tips are sure to help you and your cat lead happier and healthier lives. If you're looking for more feline advice, we unveil six reasons why cat play is so important and useful tips to boost your cat's happiness.
Get the best advice, tips and top tech for your beloved Pets
With over a year of writing for PetsRadar, Jessica is a seasoned pet writer. She joined the team after writing for the sister site, Fit&Well for a year. Growing up with a lively rescue lurcher kindled her love for animal behavior and care. Jessica holds a journalism degree from Cardiff University and has authored articles for renowned publications, including LiveScience, Runner's World, The Evening Express, and Tom's Guide. Throughout her career in journalism she has forged connections with experts in the field, like behaviorists, trainers, and vets. Through her writing, Jessica aims to empower pet owners with accurate information to enhance their furry companions' lives.