When it comes to spoiling your beloved pooch, these homemade dog food recipes have got you covered with nutritious ingredients and easy to follow instructions that come together to create a taste sensation for your foodie fur baby.
There’s nothing more convenient than cracking open a bag of ready-made, high quality dog food, but with many pet owners now choosing to create their own, you may well be considering following suit, especially if you find that your pooch is a fussy eater or you want to take full control of your dog's diet. However, it's important to note that alongside the benefits of homemade dog food, there are also drawbacks. Any significant change to your dog's diet is well worth a chat with your veterinarian.
But we know how much you love spoiling your canine companion from time to time and what better way to do that than by cooking up a storm in your own kitchen?
With that in mind, we’ve compiled a selection of our favorite homemade dog food recipes that are simple to make, are packed full of essential vitamins and minerals, and best of all? They taste jaw-droppingly delicious!
1. DIY homemade dog food
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup peas, canned or frozen
- In a large saucepan of 3 cups of water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the turkey as it cooks.
- Stir in spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas and brown rice until the spinach has wilted and the mixture is heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
Recipe via Damn Delicious
2. Doggy chilli
- 4 carrots
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can of tomato paste
- Beef broth (NO SALT)
- Optional can of corn
- 250 grams cream cheese
- Boil the macaroni.
- In a frying pan cook the beef.
- Add butter, carrots, corn, cream cheese, and tomato paste to your beef and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then add your beef mixture to your casserole dish, add your beef broth and sprinkle cheese on top.
- After that, put it in the oven at 350 degrees and cook for half an hour. Add more cheese if you would like.
Recipe via barkpost.com
3. Easy crockpot dog food
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen or canned
- Stir in ground beef, brown rice, kidney beans, butternut squash, carrots, peas and 4 cups water into a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5-6 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours, stirring as needed.
- Let cool completely before serving or storing in airtight containers in the freezer.
Recipe via Damn Delicious
4. Posh chicken dinner layer cake for dogs
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs) chicken (we used boneless chicken breasts)
- 1/2 cup of carrots
- 1/2 cup of peas
- 1/2 cup of sweet corn
- 1 medium apple
- 1 egg shell and all
- 1 cup of brown rice
- Preheat oven to 170º C (325º F, Gas Mark 3)
- Pop the chopped carrots, peas, and sweet corn in a pot to cook and soften.
- Peel and chop apple into small pieces
- Minced the chicken in a food processor. (or just buy it already minced)
- Cook brown rice according to package
- Mush vegetable mix
- Pulverize a whole egg so that the shell is totally crushed.
- Blend chopped apple, egg and chicken together in a mixing bowl
- Mix vegetable melee and rice together in bowl
- Grease a cake pan or line with baking paper.
- Take 1/2 of the chicken mixture and place it in the bottom of the cake pan.
- Take about 2/3 of the veggie and rice mix and place on top of chicken base
- use the rest of chicken mixture and place on top of the veggie and rice mix
- Top up the cake with the last of the veggie mixture
- Pop it into your pre-heated oven and cook for 35 minutes or until juices run clear
- Let cool and then remove from the pan and slice a piece of posh chicken heaven for your dog.
Recipe via wagthedoguk
5. K-9-ingredient meatballs
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a muffin pan or a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix well.
- Fill each muffin tin with about 1/4 cup of the mixture, or form the mixture into 10 balls and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a rack.
Recipe via rachaelraymag.com
6. Mini omelette
- 2 organic eggs
- Smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- Green pepper, diced
- Lightly grease ramekin with a small drizzle of olive oil. Crack eggs directly into ramekin.
- Add green pepper and salmon.
- Stir thoroughly with a fork until combined.
- Bake at 350 F for 10 to 12 minutes or until browned on top and cooked completely.
- Allow to cool and serve.
Recipe via Pawsh Magazine
Kathryn is a freelance writer with a passion for creating health and wellness, travel and wildlife content. Originally from New Zealand, her nomadic lifestyle has her currently fur baby-less. She scratches her pet parent itch by stealing frequent cuddles with any neighbourhood cat kind enough to indulge her.
Get the best advice, tips and top tech for your beloved Pets
Thank you for signing up to Petsradar. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.