Vets warn about the hazards of bones after dog experiences life-threatening obstruction
Not all bones are suitable for dogs, as this incident shows
You could be forgiven for being surprised at the above headline. After all, dogs love bones – in pretty much every media depiction of them they just can’t get enough of the things.
However, just because they like something, it doesn’t mean that it’s good for them. Sadly, it has taken this case to show that.
Having been given a donut-shaped bone by her owner, Ben Prince, black Labrador Jess found herself in considerable distress after it became stuck to her.
Subsequent attempts to remove it only heightened her anxiety, necessitating a journey to Priory Vets in Wales, where thankfully it was safely removed.
Speaking to the Daily Record (opens in new tab), owner Ben said, “Jess really loves chewing things and although balls are her favorite, she does get stuck into bones.
- Cat sneaking treats to dog will have you laughing out loud
- Kernel the Great Dane tries to fit into a tiny dog bed with hilarious results
- Pit Bull parent leaves dog owners blubbing with her adorable bedtime ritual
“She was playing with it in the kitchen when I put her to bed, and I didn’t think twice about leaving her with it.
“I don’t know how she got it on, and I thought I might just be able to slip it back off. But every time I tried, she was in quite a bit of distress. I called my dad, who looks after her when I’m at work, and we realised we just couldn’t budge it and needed help.”
While Jess was put under general anaesthetic, initial fears that it would have to be drilled off thankfully did not come to pass, as it was able to safely maneuvered off at the vets.
While this story has a happy ending, it does hammer home the importance of making sure dogs aren’t given food and other products that are potentially unsafe. Always research things before buying them, even stuff as seemingly as innocuous as bones.
“We strongly advise against feeding bones to your pets” said Cheryl Driskell, senior vet at Priory Vets, “as they can cause life-threatening obstructions if ingested and small pieces can be found stuck in the mouth.”
Get the best advice, tips and top tech for your beloved Pets
Steve writes and proofreads buying guides, news stories and advice for Pets Radar, drawing on his lifelong experience as a pet owner. Currently sharing his house with two cats and a dog, he draws on the many highs and occasional lows of pet ownership he has borne witness to in his writing. He has worked in publishing for 15 years as an editor, sub editor and writer on a range of titles, such as SciFiNow, How It Works, All About History, Real Crime and Horrorville. You can follow him on Twitter @stevewright22