Ah Christmas, a time of lots of delicious foods, and some not so delicious foods. We’ve all been there, when we’ve wanted to get rid of some nasty Brussel sprouts on our plate, simply feed them to the dog. They’ll eat anything, right?
A recent survey conducted by Vet’s Kitchen found that one of the most common foods pet owners were feeding their dogs at Christmas was the brussel sprout, but many more sneaky treats were confessed to as well.
Top of the list was Turkey, which is a proper treat for dogs, followed by pigs in blankets. Who can resist that look on your pooch’s face when you’re about to tuck into your third turkey sandwich on boxing day?
- The best dry dog food: We'll help you find the perfect kibble mix for your dog
- Best dog food for allergies: Help to relieve skin problems, upset stomachs and more
- Five dog treats for sensitive stomachs
- How to make Christmas dinner for dogs! Four festive food recipes for your four-legged friend
But remember, not all human food is safe for dogs to eat, and even meat on the bone can be a choking hazard to your pooch, so it’s important to understand what leftovers are okay to give your dog
There are actually quite a few human foods that are unsafe for your doggy, and could cause a trip to the vets! You can read an article by one of our veterinary writers on What you need to know to safely share your food with your dog for the full lowdown on giving your pup leftovers.
Vet’s Kitchen was pleased to find that Christmas chocolate was last on the list of food items pet owners are giving their dogs, and rightly so. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and shouldn’t be given to them no matter how persuasive their puppy dog eyes can be.
The full list of doggy leftovers being served up at Christmas by owners is as follows:
- Pigs in Blankets
- Crisps or savoury snacks
- Smoked Salmon
- Mince pie (dangerous for dogs)
- Christmas chocolate (dangerous for dogs)
While some of these foods are okay and will not pose a risk to your dog, if you’re unsure, it’s best to stick to treats that are made specifically for pups!
And this isn't the first time that a vet warns dog owners over Christmas dog treats. Fiona from Vet’s Kitchen said: “We all love to treat our adorable and irresistible pets but remember that sometimes they’re not the best advocates for their own health. At the Vet’s Klinic, particularly over the festive period, we have an influx of poorly puppies who’ve poisoned themselves from eating too much chocolate or been injured internally by a bone fragment. Trips like these can be distressing to both pets and owners, plus they can wrack up a nasty vet’s bill at a time of year that’s already tight.”
Sarah is a freelance writer and marketer, covering a variety of topics from lifestyle and fitness to sustainability and travel. When she’s not writing, she can be found relaxing with a cuppa and a cute doggo snoozing on her lap!
Get the best advice, tips and top tech for your beloved Pets
Thank you for signing up to Petsradar. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.